Get out your favorite version of the Holy Scriptures and turn to 2 Chronicles 7:14







Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Navigating Amazon.com

Several folks have emailed me to ask why they can't find "Ian's Song" on Amazon. I checked it out, and sure enough, typing the title in exactly the way the book is listed does not bring up "Ian's Song." The first thing to pop up is "A Horse with Wings". Second: "Song of Time", third: "Finding Home." Scroll down, and finally in the fourth position is "Ian's Song."

I called Amazon to inquire about this, and was told the words Ian and Song are too common. Ouch. I love that name.The three books preceding mine are written by Ian Somebody or they had the word song in them. This combined with number of sales are the deciding factors. I didn't realize this. I thought if you  put the exact name in, the exact book would pop up. Who'd-a-thunk?

"Pastor McAlester's Bride" pops right up. As does "Winnoby Cabin." That's because, says the lady in the know, "Pastor McAlester's Bride" has more words in it, and therefore the computer has more to work with. And Winnoby is not a common word, so there's no competition for number one spot there.

But, she also told me - really stomping on my toes here - anybody who knows their way around the  internet . . . and the Amazon site in particular knows that if you put quotation marks around the title . . . you will get exactly what you're looking for.  

I didn't know that. Did you know that? Let me know if you didn't.

It'll make me feel not quite so dumb.


No comments: