Get out your favorite version of the Holy Scriptures and turn to 2 Chronicles 7:14







Monday, August 24, 2015

2 Chronicles 7:14

I began this blog anew yesterday - August 23. I have a long way to go to build it back up. And I apologize to those who were reading it, but grew discouraged when day after day, week after week, nothing new was posted.

I have a new maxim. It goes like this: I'm Lynne. I make mistakes.

And boy, have I been making my share of them of late. Regarding the verse of scripture I'm featuring today, I am admitting my ignorance of the Scriptures. My only comfort is . . . I must have a lot of company, because our pastor built a whole message on what I'm going to say today.

Many, many posts have been made to Face Book asking people to claim this verse. And pray.

2 Chronicles 7:14 . . . and My people who are called by My name humble themselves and pray and seek My face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, will forgive their sin, and will heal their land. NAS

Each time I read that post, my heart would break. How, I asked myself, can we get the very people who are trashing God's word to "turn from their wicked ways"? Try though we may . . . we haven't been able to change enough minds about abortion, homosexuality, same-sex marriage, etc. to make a difference. They don't see themselves as sinners. And our nation is going down the tubes.

Perhaps some of you have felt the same way. Yesterday it was pointed out to me where I was missing the whole point. The Scripture says "My people who are called by My name." WE are the ones God's speaking to. Not those we battle against. WE are the ones who must turn from our wicked ways. But, we don't see ourselves as sinners, either.

When WE, God's people, humble ourselves (lose the pride of "being right"), pray, and turn from our wicked ways. (gossip? hurtful remarks? cheating? lustful thoughts? adultery? - all those "I'm not hurting anyone else with my actions" sins) They are just as wicked in God's eyes as those things we consider "major sins." We don't have to clean up the nation. We only have to clean up our act.

As God's people, we need to humble ourselves, turn from our wicked ways, and pray. We have to remind ourselves that "with God, all things are possible." And God will take it from there.

No comments: