Get out your favorite version of the Holy Scriptures and turn to 2 Chronicles 7:14







Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Better is One Day With the Lord . . .

"For a day in Thy courts is better than a thousand outside.
I would rather stand at the threshold of the house of my God,
Than dwell in the tents of wickedness." Psalm 84:10 NAS.
 
A great song-writer and pastor friend of ours, Gary Lanier, wrote a song the week after the death of his adult daughter. "Better is One Day With the Lord." It touched my heart the first time we sang it, and it continues, ten years later, to flit through my mind when I least expect it. Reminding me that  " . . . to live is Christ, and to die is gain." (Philippians 1:21).
 
Suddenly my heart is having "old home week". The song "Grave Where is Thy Victory?" (Death, where is thy sting?) popped into my mind. And with it, an evangelist named Sonny Holland. Brother Sonny conducted a revival at the church we attended when my son, Billy, was thirteen. Under Sonny's guidance, my son accepted Jesus as his savior.
 
Billy's now forty-seven . . . in the living room with my husband, watching "Jeopardy." I hadn't seen Brother Sonny in all the ensuing years, though I'd thought about him many times. (And I'm just now getting in the habit of using Google to find people.) So, I looked him up. There are several videos on U-Tube of him singing. He wrote a song in honor of his granddaughter who's gone to be with the Lord. "For Every Valley, There's a Lilly."
 
I just put one on and called the boys in from the TV. Sonny's thirty-four years older, remember, but the minute Billy saw and heard him on my PC monitor, he said "That's Sonny Holland!"
 
He's still ministering . . . in a mighty way. I'm so proud of him. He now has a ministry to the poor in Nicaragua. I'd be honored if you'd look it up at sonnyhollandministries.org. You'll be blessed to see what they're accomplishing. And you may even wish to help.
 
They're fighting a battle with hunger, homelessness, and disease. And . . . our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness . . ."
 
And the battle is real.
 
 
 
Welcome to our small but friendly group, Sherree Chmitlin and Jessie Jessy!
 
 

No comments: