Get out your favorite version of the Holy Scriptures and turn to 2 Chronicles 7:14







Monday, October 15, 2012

A Holy Nation


A very frightening email regarding politics, which I received the other morning, sent me scurrying to my Bible to seek shelter in His word.  I was simultaneously struck by a profound statement made by my pastor the other evening: "Your body will do what it has been trained to do by your mind."

Somehow this combination sent me straight to Revelation. And I determined for the first time in my Christian life to study Revelation until I understood it. Always before I'd rationalize it was too deep and not meant to be understood by "the masses." At long last I realize, I'm not the masses, I'm a child of God. He wants me to understand His love letter. Not just the four books of the Gospel, or Genesis, or Acts . . . but the whole thing.

In the first chapter of Revelation a word which is seldom used jumped out at me. Nicolaitans. A Nicolaitan was an enemy of God. He specifically said He "hated their deeds." Nicolaitans were (are?) a sect of pseudo Christians. People who introduce Pagan rites and beliefs into their Christian behavior, thereby leading people astray. Because God especially hates Christianity that's defiled by Paganism, He instructed us —according to Revelation—to hate the deeds of the Nicolaitans.

One of the sites I visited while researching asked the question: Do the Nicolaitans still exist?

Likewise, I ask: Are there still those who claim to be Christians, but adhere to the ways of Satan, and admonish you to join them in their "rites?" Have good people been let astray to do things abhorrent to God, by others who profess to be Christians? Perhaps you could name a few laws which allow, and even encourage, U.S. citizens to ignore God's will.

We must learn to recognize the fruit of the Spirit, just as we should recognize the fruit of the evil one. Let the Word teach you to identify the enemy. Because he roams the earth, seeking whom he may devour. (And whom he may separate from the Father.)

Revelation 2:11  " . . . He who overcomes shall not be hurt by the second death."

One of the most important things we should keep in our hearts, especially when the world is pressing in on us, is: GOD IS IN CONTROL. We may not like what's going on. HE may not like what's going on. But He still has the whole world in His hands. 

The Scriptures say "We are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation." WE are. While we should pray constantly that America turns back to God (and work diligently toward that end) remember as you pray . . . the nation the Scriptures are referring to is us. His people. Those who are called by His name. People of the Way. Christians. Believers. WE are His holy nation. And regardless of what happens in the rest of the world . . . or in the United States . . . WE are in good hands.

No comments: