Get out your favorite version of the Holy Scriptures and turn to 2 Chronicles 7:14







Thursday, November 29, 2012

Beulahland!

I definitely "over-extended" myself for the month of November. There were simply not enough hours and days to go around. I'll try to do better in December.

Years ago, my husband and son and I used to sing trios in church and at sing-ins. What a great time that was. But time passes. And life takes twists and turns. My son moved too far away, and my voice kinda gave up the ghost. I was never a lead singer . . . not in my wildest imagination. But I could carry a tune to sing back-up. Now my range has narrowed so much, I'd almost have to sing the same note (in my key) throughout. (Isn't there a song called "Johnny One-Note?") That's me.

The song we sang that I loved the best was "Beulahland." I'm kind of homesick for a country, to which I've never been before . . . "

I've always assumed I had Gyspy blood surging through my veins, because I simply love moving from one place to another. New city, new state, just a new location in the same old city. It's exciting to me. Our son claims Dee and I only have "a five-year shelf life." But actually, it's worse than that considering we've lived in (and mostly built) eleven homes in the thirty-three years we've been married. Why that's - on average - a three-year shelf life.

Even when we consider ourselves perfectly content where we are, we can't stop looking at lovely country settings, and saying things like "Ooh, wouldn't that be the perfect place for a country cottage?" And if there happens to be a "for sale" sign on the place . . . we'd better put the pedal to the metal, or we may be putting out signatures on the dotted line!

I've also said for years that "This world is not my home, I'm just passing through."

Reading Hebrews 11 the other night, I finally realized what's wrong with us. We love the beauty of God's handiwork in the woods and fields. Each place looks like it will be better than the last. And each one is - in it's own way - but we'll never find the perfect place. Not until we move out of this world. Because this world is not our home. We're just passing through. What we long for is that country to which we've never been. And, yes, I am homesick for it.

Hebrews 11:13-16 says: "All these died in faith, without receiving the promises, but having seen them and having welcomed them from a distance, and having confessed that they were strangers and exiles on the earth.

"For those who say such things make it clear that they are seeking a country of their own. And indeed if they had been thinking of that country from which they went out, they would have had opportunity to return.

"But they desire a better country, that is a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God; for He has prepared a city for them."

Amen and Amen!

No comments: